Thursday, December 29, 2005

Luckenbach, Texas and a Birthday

Today is my father's 81st birthday!

I'd say "Happy Birthday Dad!" but he doesn't own a computer with which to view this post. I thought I’d talk a little about him today, though.

My family and I made the 90 mile drive to Fredericksburg on Monday to visit some family. On the way we stopped in Luckenbach, where my father was born. Yes, my father and his brother REALLY were born in the town made famous by Waylon, Willie and the boys!


It was a beautiful day for a drive, as you can see. Dad wanted to show me the one room schoolhouse again, and mentioned that he started there in 1934. 1934! We also measured the distance from his house to "town"... it turned out to be just over two miles one way. He had always claimed 3-4 miles each way. Ha! He told me some great stories, like the old car they had was often so hard to crank and start that it seemed faster to walk to town. Goodness!


On a side note, my uncle took me to Luckenbach once when I was say 10 years old. At the Luckenbach General Store (pictured in the first link above), I held a bear cub. No lie! I'm not sure why there was bear cub nor am I sure of why they let a 10 year old girl hold it!

Our visit with family was good. Here's a picture for posterity.


Stay tuned in the coming days for more stories from Dad about his time in WWII.


No comments: